Thursday, October 17, 2019

First, a sincere apology for the absence of a timely update on my journey to become a Certified Clinical Musician! (CCM). My journey is indeed continuing, and I am very BUSY...as I have reached the point in my learning, where the "rubber meets the road" for me personally...I have successfully completed all of my Level I reading, research, written reports and auditory samples. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me. But...now I need to start on the last segment of my level I training and preparation: I need to record 4, 10 minute musical audio files: Each 10 minute audio is targeted toward a particular patient population (elderly, infant/child, general healing care, and those approaching their death). Each population requires different modes, tempos, melodic/non-melodic, rhythmic/non-rhythmic, known/unknown melodies/pieces and lots of appropriate improvisation to connect musical selections and provide seamless transitions in key signature, tempo and emotional content, as dictated by the patient and their articulated and observed needs. My samples require a minimum of 2 songs with appropriate improvisation and transitions. So, I need a solid lock on 8 songs and the "connective tissue" of improvisation for each 10 minute recording. I also have a multi-page examination as well as thought-filled essay questions to complete. Please pray for me as I undertake this next, most important segment of my training.

My prayer life is centered these days on healing....healing of loved ones who are recovering, healing for our Nation, and healing for the individuals the Lord will place in my care as I move forward. I have a HUGE confession...when I was young and so very full of myself...my dreams...my goals...my activities...I heard about a group of Monks. Their sole focus was a prayer ministry...they literally prayed for others, themselves, the church, society...honoring specific requests...and unspoken needs all the time! In my ignorance and self-centeredness...I thought to myself: "How can anyone spend a full day (let alone, days, weeks, months, years, decades...a lifetime) in prayer? " Oh how the Holy Spirit has convicted, righted, opened, and changed my heart!!!! Now, as I write in my prayer journal...I am awash in prayer. The need for communion via prayer... and those private conversations is CONSTANT...not for requests...(tho, those are certainly part of my directed prayer time), but for thanksgiving, for worship, for humility, for wonder, for EVERYTHING....and of course for spiritual and physical healing.

Many years ago, when I was playing regularly in orchestras, I gave my musical offerings to the Lord. I love preparing music...it allows me a chance to pray...to give thanks...to ask for the blessings of music to be used by the Holy Spirit to move hearts and minds of myself and others. Proper preparation of music is also very humbling...knowing that it will be blessed and provide opportunities for worship, focus and thanksgiving. Over the last several years, I have made a conscious decision to not play music for compensation.

When I retired from my full-time job as a speech pathologist, I prayed about what my next steps would be. I have always viewed my career as a teacher and speech pathologist as a calling...not a job. I have been given the ability to help others (never perfectly, but certainly as a heartfelt opportunity)...and as such, I again feel deeply blessed beyond any measure...that my calling was also my occupation...but now, through God's incredible generosity, I am now able to give speech and language support to others...as a gift. It has been 10 years since I formally retired from the Public Schools....and when I walked away from my school position, I recommitted my gifts as a speech pathologist as a gift of thanksgiving to my Creator God. Now I offer my help whenever it is requested...as a ministry...no financial gain desired. God continues to provide for our every need, and I am so grateful to be able to totally turn all my skills and heart longings over completely to the One who placed them in my heart when he created me.

So, please pray that I can serve...via music or speech and language supports...where ever God leads me.

Thanks again for your patience....and for reading and sharing this journey!
Love to all....

No comments:

Post a Comment